The Rollin Arts Centre
The Rollin Art Centre houses a fine arts gallery A gift shop, classroom, office and storage facilities. The Gardens are a show piece for the community. Of note are the traditional Japanese garden - a gift from Abashiri, Port Alberni's sister city, a replica of Port Alberni's first bandstand, and the elegant concrete balustrade and classical fountain, both designed by Port Alberni resident, Peter Szachiv.
Programs & Services
- Celebration of Lights Festival
- Monthly Art Exhibits
- School and Community Tours
- Summer Teas on the Terrace
- Garden rentals for Weddings and special garden events
- Gift Shop selling locally made cards, arts and crafts and other gift items
- Adult Art Programs
- Childrens Summer Art Camps and Writting Workshops
- Christmas Market at McLean Mill
- Halloween Pumpkin Carving contest
The Rollin Art Centre Gift Shop presently carries work by over 85 local artists. Our fine assortment of unique, handcrafted items includes:
- Books: local writers featured
- DVD's andCD's : Talented artists from the Valley
- Encaustic Wax Art
- Fibre Arts: Teddy Bears, knitted socks and sweaters, crocheted pieces
- Glass Art
- Hand made books and journals
- Jewellery: fine quality necklaces, earrings, bracelets
- Native carving, Basket and beadwork
- Original paintings: oils, watercolours, acrylics, coloured pencil, pen and ink, mixed media
- Photo cards of local scenes and art cards
- Painted Rocks of local wildlife
- Pottery: handbuilt, wheel-thrown, raku, stoneware, traditional and contemporary pieces
- Sculptures: Cedar: coastal imagery, animals, whales, salmon, crabs
- Woodturning: Bowls, oil lamps, lidded boxes, kitchen utensils
The gardens are a show-piece for the community where weddings and special events are held. The Rollin Art Centre has three gardens, a traditional Japanese garden which was a gift from Abashiri, Japan (Port Alberni’s sister city), a native garden showcasing indigenous plants and a children’s garden complete with a bridge and sundial. There is also a replica of Port Alberni’s first bandstand and the elegant concrete balustrade and classical fountain, both designed by Port Alberni resident, Peter szachiv.
Garden Volunteers Wanted!
Do you like to garden? If the answer is yes, the public gardens at the Rollin Art Centre would appreciate any spare time you have to help maintain the excellence of these gardens. For more information, please call 250-724-3412, Tuesday to Saturday, 11 am - 4 pm
The Community Arts Council welcomes the support of volunteers in all areas of its activities.
Some examples include:
- Visual Arts Gallery
- Fund Raising
- Building Maintenance
- Gift Shop
- Receptions and Openings
- Office Support
The Community Arts Council of Port Alberni
The Community Arts Council of the Alberni Valley enriches individual and community life through sharing and shaping the cultural environment of the Alberni Valley.
The Community Arts Council of the Alberni Valley enriches individual and community life through sharing and shaping the cultural environment of the Alberni Valley through the following mandate:
- Advocacy for the arts, for arts organizations and those working in the arts.
- Arts experiences, inspiration and information, including the provision of quality programs, exhibits, events and opportunities in all facets of the arts to benefit a broad range of ages, interests and diverse cultures.
- Collecting, protecting, conserving and presenting artwork by local artists or artwork pertaining to the Alberni Valley.
- Fiscal stability and professional operations
These values guide our work:
- Innovation, creativity and risk-taking
- Involvement from observation to creation
- Accessibility and affordability
- Honesty, integrity and openness
- Fiscal Responsibility
The Community Arts Council welcomes the support of our Community Partners